Skip to main content

rtl8723be driver issues in Fedora, Ubuntu, CentOS and Redhat Linux (RHEL).

I could see many people bug the developer with silly questions... I faced this issue on both Ubuntu, CentOS, and Fedora.  What I found is, the driver which Ubuntu, CentOS, or Fedora shipped is the latest one. There is no need of downloading and compiling the drivers again, without testing the installed driver with different antenna selections. In most cases re-enabling the kernel module with correct antenna selection would help. (I think it will work in Redhat as well. But not tested.)
Let me share my finding...
To fix this you have to unload the current kernel modules and then insert them again with the new antenna selection... In my case, In Ubuntu the antenna was 2,  in centOS7 and Fedora, it was 1.
So here are the steps (which I did).
In UBUNTU (16.10, 17.04)
## Unload the current module ##
sudo modprobe -rv rtl8723be

## Reload it with new option. ##
sudo modprobe -v rtl8723be ant_sel=2

## this step will help you to keep the same changes even after the reboot)  ##
echo "options rtl8723be ant_sel=2" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/50-rtl8723be.conf 

In CENTOS 7.x and FEDORA 25
## Unload the current module ##
sudo modprobe -rv rtl8723be

## Reload it with new option. ##
sudo modprobe -v rtl8723be ant_sel=1

## this step will help you to keep the same changes even after the reboot)  ##
echo "options rtl8723be ant_sel=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/50-rtl8723be.conf 

Try this first. If your first antenna selection is not working then go with the other one (1 and 2). Trust me guys, It will work. 

Still, facing issues?? Then download the driver and install it manually. (maybe in older versions of Linux)
(The installation steps may require additional packages like make, GCC, kernel-devel, and kernel-headers. install it according to the distribution you are using ) 
UBUNTU
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) gcc g++ build-essential dkms

FEDORA/CENTOS
sudo yum install kernel-devel kernel-headers

After download, unzip it and compile it. Then re-insert the module with the antenna selection option. 
cd <path to the Downloads>
unzip rtlwifi_new-rock.new_btcoex.zip
cd rtlwifi_new-rock.new_btcoex/
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe -rv rtl8723be
sudo modprobe -v rtl8723be ant_sel=2

echo "options rtl8723be ant_sel=2" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/50-rtl8723be.conf

(Leave a comment about your experience. Let me know it worked for you or not. )



Comments

  1. This worked for CentOS 7 and HP Pavillion with RTL8723BE wifi! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much. Helped with CENTOS 7 and HP 15-ay510ng

    ReplyDelete
  3. Worked like charm with CentOS 7 installed on my Lenovo Thinkpad with RTL8723BE wifi. Thank you so much for your great support for the Linux community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much . worked well on my hp laptop

    ReplyDelete
  5. Worked, but my wifi is working so slow in centos 7 only

    ReplyDelete
  6. Worked in ubuntu 18.04.3, I cannot thank you enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This page helped fixing the issue ....after download of rtlwifi_new-extended.zip from github.
    The extended branch information is found from the URL:
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Realtek-8723DE-wifi-module-amp-Bluetooth-Linux-driver/td-p/6477307

    echo "options rtl8723be ant_sel=2" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/50-rtl8723be.conf worked for me on CentOS 8 with HP laptop rtl8723de wifi adapter...Thank you very much for this post....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely comeback.


    DevOps Training in Chennai | DevOps Training in anna nagar | DevOps Training in omr | DevOps Training in porur | DevOps Training in tambaram | DevOps Training in velachery

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heya are using Wordpress for your blog platform? I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get started and create my own. Do you need any coding expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is required to get setup? I'm assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I'm not very internet smart so I'm not 100% certain. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Appreciate it

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing your article. wonderful article contains lot of valuable information. Very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article. . AWS Training in Chennai Velachery OMR

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this blog. I have found some interesting blogs on google. You can check these blogs also which are related to technologies….

    Job Oriented Linux Training Institute in Delhi, NCR
    Job Oriented AWS Training Institute in Delhi, NCR

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine, We will wait for your next article so only. Thanks!

    Best Institute for AutoCAD Training Course in Delhi, NCR
    Certified JAVA Training Institute in Delhi with Placement

    ReplyDelete
  14. remarkable call i might sooner or later to thank you for the efforts you've got made in scripting this tempting and knowledgeable article. ! Birthday Wishes Girl

    ReplyDelete
  15. This one appeals to me more because it has more useful information. I'm confident that I'll pick up a lot of new knowledge from this! I wish you luck on the upcoming one!
    Angular-Js Training Institute in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment